Sunday, January 19, 2014

A meta-meta analysis - soon

Hi guys! Some of you may or may not have heard of me, my name is Ben Gould and I came 4th in the masters division at worlds last year. I was contacted by Wolfe and asked to share my thoughts and ideas here, I of course jumped at the chance.

Essentially I hope to contribute more and more to this blog as the season continues, hopefully giving a bit of advice here and there for less experienced players and sharing the thought processes of those of us at the highest levels of play.

I am currently tied up with exams at university for the next few weeks, but I plan on doing a kind of article that will look at the meta as a whole and look into where it is heading (lets see how many predictions for popular things I can make). By this I don't just mean saying 'Garchomp and Mega-Charizard-Y are OP' and listing counters to them, but looking into the less explored strategies and ideas in this new meta-game.

A quick example of some things I have yet to see on the competitive scene and have only recently tried out myself (that seem to work well...):

Mega-abomasnow - this guy hits a regular Mawile for about 45-55% with its blizzard. I mean come on, untapped potential there surely?

Assault vest on a specially defensive tank - I slapped one of these on a Tyranitar just to see what would happen, it seems to work to great effect.

Jumpluff - With the popularity of sun and easy access to it, I'm surprised this guy isn't more used. With super high speed and an ability to ignore rage powder with an item such as safety goggles, nothing is safe. Encore can lock people into undesirable moves, safeguard is practically always going first and it is immune to spore.

The Slow-brothers, Slowking and Slowbro - So, innate speed seems to be key more now than ever, faster mons are chosen as glass-cannons (such as Talonflame). Taunt seems to have vanished and Trick Room is looking stronger than ever. These two have excellent stats and have access to two brilliant abilities, regenerator and oblivious. Oblivious now provides immunity to taunt, providing a practically unstoppable Trick Room (unless you can OHKO or imprison etc).

Finally, Scizor - I feel this guy has fallen out of favor and for all the wrong reasons. Mega-Scizor is very scary, boost that guy up with some sword dances and he can wreck any team alone practically. Stick him on a team with Politoed and Ludicolo or Kingdra and you are laughing.

I will write a better article in the near future, but here is a small glimpse at what is to come.

- Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment